- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
Inside the Ring: China rejects zero option
China left out of Romney campaign
The presidential election campaign of Republican Mitt Romney recently made public a policy memorandum by Harvard academic Lanhee Chen, listing what it sees as several foreign-policy and national-security failures by President Obama.
There was no mention of China’s military buildup continuing apace in secret with no pressure from the administration for an explanation. It also ignored the current failure to halt the Chinese state-controlled press campaign to demonize the United States. It made no mention of the administration’s mishandling of efforts to prevent China from moving to control vast areas of international waters near its coasts, while alarming neighbors from Japan to India.
The lack of any reference to China reflects the pro-China bent of the formal Romney campaign advisers, such as Rich Williamson, who recently praised liberal China hand Kenneth Lieberthal, a former Clinton administration adviser who is considered a soft-liner on Beijing’s military buildup.
Observers say the Romney campaign’s focus on Russia as a major threat is designed to harken back to the Cold War when Republicans played the China card against Moscow. Thus if Russia is the problem, China is not.
John R. Bolton, an informal adviser to the Romney campaign, filled the gap. In a column this week, Mr. Bolton faulted the Obama administration for lacking a strategy to prevent China from asserting hegemony and turning international waters around China into “Lake Beijing.”
Romney campaign policy official Alex Wong contacted Inside the Ring to say that Mr. Bolton was never a “special adviser” to Mr. Romney, as reported in last week’s column.
Warning on nuclear cuts
Two senior members of Congress recently warned that the Obama administration’s failure to modernize U.S. nuclear forces is a major danger.
Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican, and Rep. Michael R. Turner, Ohio Republican, stated in a recent letter to The Washington Post that President Obama is planning $370 million in nuclear-weapons cuts “with billions more to come.”
The lawmakers were responding to a Post editorial warning that the GOP platform included “scare talk” on the president’s cuts in nuclear forces.
Mr. Kyl, Senate Republican whip, and Mr. Turner, chairman of the House Armed Services strategic forces subcommittee, said the planned cuts are not a minor dip in spending.
“They go to the heart of the program to refurbish aging warheads and infrastructure,” they stated in a letter. “Ironically, the cut will delay or prevent achievement of one of the goals of the president’s 2010 Nuclear Posture Review: reducing the number of ‘hedge’ warheads in our stockpile.”
The congressmen said the president has abandoned commitments he made to senators in late 2010 to win their support for ratification of the New START arms treaty with Russia, a pact that, after it was signed, revealed that its levels called only for unilateral U.S. warhead cuts since the Russians claimed to have already reached the treaty’s levels.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Bill Gertz is a national security columnist for The Washington Times and senior editor at The Washington Free Beacon (www.freebeacon.com). He has been with The Times since 1985.
He is the author of six books, four of them national best-sellers. His latest book, “The Failure Factory,” on government bureaucracy and national security, was published in September 2008.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014