- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Cover story: Short sale a long, drawn-out process
The paperwork comprises three months of bank records, the last two months of pay stubs, the last two years of tax forms, a letter of hardship and an explanation of the need to relocate, an authorization letter that allows a Realtor to be the negotiator, as well as three sold comparables and three comparables of similar properties currently on the market. Once all the paperwork is in, the next step is to submit a buyer’s offer to the bank.
“If it’s sat for three months or so, you need to resubmit all the paperwork because it must all be up to date,” Ms. Corley said.
Mr. Campot pointed out, however, that some banks won’t even talk to homeowners about a short sale until they already have a buyer’s offer in hand.
“It might make more sense to first talk to a Realtor who specializes in short sales and get the house on the market and have an offer to take to the bank before submitting all of the paperwork,” he said.
Katie Wethman, a Realtor with the Wethman Group at Keller Williams Realty in McLean, pointed out that another way to speed the process is to comply with all requests from the bank.
“When they tell you they didn’t receive a piece of documentation you sent, just send it again,” she said. “They have a pile of work to do, and if you decide to take a stand and make them do any extra work, they’re just going to move on to the next one on the pile.”
For many short-sale sellers, one of the hardest parts of the process is parting with assets to help pay down the shortfall, Mr. Campot said. “So if you have $50,000 in life savings, the bank wants that to go into the mortgage,” he said.
Perhaps the biggest misperception is that a seller must be behind two or three mortgage payments before the bank will allow a short sale, Ms. Corley said.
“That is a myth. You only have to prove hardship,” she said. “You’ll hurt your credit rating if you purposely skip your mortgage payments.”
In general, a short sale can hurt an individual’s credit rating by 50 to 100 points, Ms. Corley said.
“But if the wording in the approval letter [from the bank accepting the offer] says that the loan is satisfied in full, you won’t take that hit,” she said. “It’s a good idea to consult with an accountant to make sure that the wording is correct and that the debt is forgiven; otherwise, the bank will try to collect the difference.”
Mr. Campot added that it’s also a good idea for sellers to consult an accountant about the tax repercussions of a short sale.
“In some cases, they can be severe,” he said. “If you can swing it, it’s often better to rent [the home out] than do a short sale.”
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014