- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
GOP sees Fed move as a ploy in the election
Question of the Day
Some observers are skeptical, however, that the central bank can do much more to prod the economy to grow faster.
While the Fed came through with an impressive display of force, it “is unlikely to have any perceptible impact on the labor market and the U.S. economy in general,” said Harm Bandholz, an economist at Unicredit Markets.
“The much bigger issue right now is the fiscal cliff, which adds to the already high uncertainty about the economic outlook. As a result, businesses are delaying investment expenditures and are more cautious about hiring.”
Michael P. Lebowitz, an analyst at Absolute Investment Management, said he was “shocked” by the Fed’s decision and said that the rise in oil, gold and other commodities is signaling concerns about an uptick in inflation as the Fed prints money to purchase more bonds.
“Our biggest concern is that increases in money supply always lead to inflation,” he said. “This is detrimental to the lower and middle class, as well as those in emerging and developing countries who spend a large portion of their income on food and energy.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Economy springs back in nearly every sector
- Energy Department eyes regional gas reserves for emergency use
- Economists see signs of another market bubble
- Crude oil will head north of the border to Canada
- S&P: Boeing to suffer if Ex-Im Bank killed
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world