- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (Sept. 10-16)
Question of the Day
Pollster John Zogby grades the president’s week and how the week’s events affect his re-election chances:
“President Obama got a larger than expected bump in the polls from the Democratic National Convention. My newest poll gives him a 6-point lead over Gov. Romney, meaning Mr. Obama’s numbers have actually risen and Mr. Romney’s have actually gone down.
“The Arab world is in an uproar and four Americans were killed — including Ambassador Chris Stevens — by a terrorist attack in Libya. And anti-American protests have spread to as far away as Australia. This is a real test for the president’s leadership and foreign policy. But by many accounts, including my own, Mr. Romney appeared to gratuitously insert politics at a moment of tragedy and failed the test of global leadership.
“New polls now show the president leading in key battleground states. A tough week to be president but a worse week for Mr. Romney. Mr. Obama again is served by a grade curve as he looks better than his opponent.”
Last week’s grade: C
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq