- With Highway Trust Fund in jeopardy, Obama refocuses on infrastructure
- Church of England allows female bishops
- Obama slammed by black Chicago residents: ‘Worst president ever’
- WHO urges healthy gay men to take HIV prevention drugs, cites ‘exploding epidemics’
- Ukraine: Military plane shot down by rocket
- Ebola crisis in West Africa deepens; 500+ dead
- Propaganda song popular among Central Americans was devised by U.S. Border Patrol
- Sen. Rob Portman: Math is on GOP’s side to win Senate this fall
- Four-time deportee arrested for molesting 9-year-old Texas girl
- Private investigators turn to drones to catch marital cheaters, insurance liars
Bristol Palin custody case closed in Alaska
Question of the Day
JUNEAU, ALASKA (AP) - A custody case between Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston has been closed, and an attorney says the two likely will work out any future differences regarding their 3-year-old son on their own.
Alaska court records show the case involving Sarah Palin's grandson Tripp was closed this month after a lack of activity.
Johnston attorney Rex Butler said Monday the best way to interpret the development is that the parties likely will resolve any problems themselves. An attorney for Bristol Palin didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Bristol Palin and Johnston initially battled over custody. But they agreed in 2010 that Bristol would have primary physical custody and the two would share legal custody, subject to Bristol's resolution if they couldn't agree, then-Palin family attorney Thomas Van Flein, said at that time. Johnston was given visitation, and he agreed to pay child support.
An automatic notice of pending dismissal was posted in July because of a lack of activity in the case.
Bristol Palin and Tripp appeared on the recent Lifetime series "Bristol Palin: Life's a Tripp," in which Johnston's presence in his son's life, or lack thereof, was part of the story line.
Bristol Palin and Johnston were thrust into the national spotlight in 2008, as unwed teenagers expecting a baby, when Sarah Palin was the Republican candidate for vice president. The two have had a tumultuous on-again, off-again relationship, including called-off engagements.
Both have gone on to write books, and Bristol Palin also has appeared on "Dancing with the Stars." Johnston recently had a baby with his girlfriend.
In a blog post Monday, Bristol Palin said that while she doesn't have "much interaction" with Johnston, she is happy for him with respect to his new daughter.
"A child is a blessing and I know they are experiencing the joys (and challenges!) of having a newborn," Bristol Palin wrote. She said Tripp sent the new baby flowers, "and we both wish all the best for her."
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Rand Paul to Rick Perry on Iraq: Get some new glasses
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs