- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Redskins DE Adam Carriker out for season
LB Orakpo also done for the year
Question of the Day
The Washington Redskins are already hurting on defense after allowing 63 points in the first two weeks. But the pain doesn't end there.
Defensive end Adam Carriker will miss the rest of the season with a right leg injury. Middle linebacker London Fletcher confirmed that Monday morning.
"Adam's been a big part of what we've been able to do around here, a tremendous player for us. He's going to be done, I guess, for the rest of the year," Fletcher said. "We'll miss him, but it's an opportunity for somebody else now. We're a no-excuse football team. Hey, injuries happen in the National Football League, so the next man has to come up and play well in that position."
Carriker went down grabbing his right quad Sunday in the Redskins' 31-28 loss at the St. Louis Rams. The "next man" in his spot figures to be Jarvis Jenkins, who missed all of last season with a torn ACL in his right knee.
The Redskins are also going to be without linebacker Brian Orakpo for the rest of the season after he tore his left pectoral muscle in St. Louis. Linebacker Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson are expected to compete for Orakpo's starting job.
Both injuries are significant blows to a defense that did not have any players on its front seven miss a game due to injury last season.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors