- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
Redskins DE Adam Carriker out for season
LB Orakpo also done for the year
Question of the Day
The Washington Redskins are already hurting on defense after allowing 63 points in the first two weeks. But the pain doesn't end there.
Defensive end Adam Carriker will miss the rest of the season with a right leg injury. Middle linebacker London Fletcher confirmed that Monday morning.
"Adam's been a big part of what we've been able to do around here, a tremendous player for us. He's going to be done, I guess, for the rest of the year," Fletcher said. "We'll miss him, but it's an opportunity for somebody else now. We're a no-excuse football team. Hey, injuries happen in the National Football League, so the next man has to come up and play well in that position."
Carriker went down grabbing his right quad Sunday in the Redskins' 31-28 loss at the St. Louis Rams. The "next man" in his spot figures to be Jarvis Jenkins, who missed all of last season with a torn ACL in his right knee.
The Redskins are also going to be without linebacker Brian Orakpo for the rest of the season after he tore his left pectoral muscle in St. Louis. Linebacker Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson are expected to compete for Orakpo's starting job.
Both injuries are significant blows to a defense that did not have any players on its front seven miss a game due to injury last season.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Border Patrol helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
- John McCain to Harry Reid: Ill kick the crap out of you
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness from the carpool lane.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow