- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
Embassy Row: Lockerbie friend
The killing of U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens on the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks shocked the relatives of the victims of a terrorist attack against Americans more than 20 years ago.
Mr. Stevens, the ambassador to Libya who was killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, was a friend of the families whose loved ones died in a Libyan terrorist attack that brought down an American airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland, on Dec. 21, 1988. A midair explosion killed all 259 passengers and crew. Eleven residents of the Scottish village died when debris from the plane fell on their homes.
“The Lockerbie families had a personal relationship with Chris, who kept us aware of the fragile nature of the new government in Libya,” said Frank Duggan, president of the Victims of Pan Am Flight 103. “He thought the transitional government showed great promise, especially after the last election, where the Muslim Brotherhood had a poor showing.”
The fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood, which now rules Egypt, had been expected to win parliamentary elections in Libya in July. However, Libyans voters rejected Brotherhood candidates and elected a moderate coalition government.
“I recall a phone conversation with him before he left when one of our members was concerned and asked him about his personal safety,” Mr. Duggan said.
Libya has remained unstable since rebels killed dictator Moammar Gadhafi in October and toppled his regime. The new central government has failed to disband heavily armed militias that roam the North African nation.
“Ben remarked how well Chris got along with everyone there, speaking the language and chatting with shopkeepers and ordinary Libyan citizens on the street,” Mr. Duggan said.
Mr. Stevens had been the U.S. envoy to the rebels during the civil war and was well-respected by many Libyans.
The Lockerbie families on their website also expressed condolences to the relatives of the three other Americans killed in the Benghazi assault: Sean Smith, a 10-year State Department official; and former Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, who provided security for the ambassador.
CLOUDED CRYSTAL BALL
The U.S. ambassador to Britain showed he was no psychic when he predicted that the Liberal Democrats would never join a coalition government with the Conservatives — only two months before the strange bedfellows proved the political cliche true.
In a diplomatic communique before Britain’s 2010 parliamentary elections, Ambassador Louis Susman assured Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that the liberals were philosophically incompatible with the Tories, according to a recent report in London’s Daily Mail newspaper.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
James Morrison joined the The Washington Times in 1983 as a local reporter covering Alexandria, Va. A year later, he was assigned to open a Times bureau in Canada. From 1987 to 1989, Mr. Morrison was The Washington Times reporter in London, covering Britain, Western Europe and NATO issues. After returning to Washington, he served as an assistant foreign editor ...
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Embassy Row: India 'shocked,' 'appalled' by consular officer's arrest
- Embassy Row: Wife of Christian held in Iran feels abandoned by Obama
- Wife of jailed U.S. Christian in Iran calls for White House help
- Most Americans want no Iranian uranium enrichment: poll
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014