- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Fox sells digital ‘Prometheus’ 3 weeks before DVD
LOS ANGELES (AP) - In an effort to kick-start still nascent sales of digital movies, 20th Century Fox has begun selling digital versions of the sci-fi thriller “Prometheus” three weeks ahead of the movie’s release on Blu-ray and DVD.
The move is a reflection of the industry’s effort to promote the concept of movie ownership on digital platforms.
Movie purchases from online retailers like Apple Inc.’s iTunes and Amazon.com are growing. But those sales still represented less than 4 percent of U.S. home video spending in the first half of the year, according to The Digital Entertainment Group, a movie-industry association.
“Prometheus” is now on sale through iTunes, Amazon.com and Google’s Play store for about $15.
Fox said it will push digital movie sales this way in a campaign it is calling “Digital HD.” For future releases, it plans to give high-definition digital sales a two-week head start before the disc release.
The digital versions of Fox titles don’t come with all the extras included with Blu-ray copies, such as deleted scenes, and they are not as high-quality. The iTunes version of “Prometheus” in HD offers viewing in 720p, a standard which is not as sharp as the 1080p offered on Blu-ray. An “SD,” or standard definition version, was available from iTunes for pre-order for $13.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.