- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama puts campaign before Mideast violence
It is apparent to me that the "campaigner-in-chief" still doesn't have a clue when it comes to dealing with foreign affairs, nor does he understand that you can't deal with fanatical countries that hate the United States from a position of weakness ("Libya and Egypt: Does President Obama even care?" Web, Wednesday).
These countries could not care less about apologies, and they only respect those nations that deal from a position of strength.
Point in fact: The attacks on our embassies in Libya, Egypt and now Yemen have emboldened the enemies of our country because they have no respect for our leadership.
When they see President Obama make up an excuse not to entertain an ally such as Israel, saying there were "scheduling" conflicts, then they think that we as a country don't support an ally. This emboldens them into thinking they can come after our embassies. After all, the president doesn't care. The fact that Mr. Obama's priorities are about campaigning and not leading the country should be evident.
Israel should be given priority over all other distractions that Mr. Obama has placed before it. Why? It is on the brink of war with Iran. Iran has threatened to wipe out Israel and the United States -- and still the president would rather be out campaigning than leading this country.
The absentee president can condemn the acts of our enemies all he wants. He can apologize for the individuals who started this latest outbreak of violence, playing into the hands of our enemies. It won't change the fact that without taking away the money we give them every year and ordering action against the offenders -- showing that we have the power to lead the world -- Mr. Obama is just another empty suit with no backbone.
GREGORY J. TOPLIFF
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same