- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama puts campaign before Mideast violence
Question of the Day
It is apparent to me that the "campaigner-in-chief" still doesn't have a clue when it comes to dealing with foreign affairs, nor does he understand that you can't deal with fanatical countries that hate the United States from a position of weakness ("Libya and Egypt: Does President Obama even care?" Web, Wednesday).
These countries could not care less about apologies, and they only respect those nations that deal from a position of strength.
Point in fact: The attacks on our embassies in Libya, Egypt and now Yemen have emboldened the enemies of our country because they have no respect for our leadership.
When they see President Obama make up an excuse not to entertain an ally such as Israel, saying there were "scheduling" conflicts, then they think that we as a country don't support an ally. This emboldens them into thinking they can come after our embassies. After all, the president doesn't care. The fact that Mr. Obama's priorities are about campaigning and not leading the country should be evident.
Israel should be given priority over all other distractions that Mr. Obama has placed before it. Why? It is on the brink of war with Iran. Iran has threatened to wipe out Israel and the United States -- and still the president would rather be out campaigning than leading this country.
The absentee president can condemn the acts of our enemies all he wants. He can apologize for the individuals who started this latest outbreak of violence, playing into the hands of our enemies. It won't change the fact that without taking away the money we give them every year and ordering action against the offenders -- showing that we have the power to lead the world -- Mr. Obama is just another empty suit with no backbone.
GREGORY J. TOPLIFF
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine