- Key Obamacare official: Last two months much harder than anyone hoped
- Sen. Mike Lee: We must stop ‘the prez’ from acting like the queen
- George Bush consoles embattled Alabama kicker Cade Foster: You will be stronger
- Megachurch pastor with ties to Obama commits suicide
- WaPo to readers: Send us your ‘gun violence’ stories for Sandy Hook anniversary
- U.S. threatens Ukraine with sanctions over dispatch of riot police
- Canada doing away with door-to-door mail delivery by 2018
- NSA chief defends phone spying: ‘There is no other way’
- Hawaii Health Department head killed in plane crash
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Setting the tone for this time
Question of the Day
According to our system of government, there are many things that a president cannot do by himself. For example, a president cannot legally pass or change a law by himself; he needs Congress to pass the law and then he needs the courts to enforce it.
But there is one very important thing that a president can (and does) do himself: Set a tone. The spirit and mood associated with that tone affects the people of the United States, and the spirit and character associated with that tone is sensed by the people of the international community.
Domestically, one wants the tone to be one of confidence, optimism and unity. Internationally, one wants this tone to be one of confidence, leadership, fidelity and resolve toward our friends and enemies alike.
A question for voters in deciding which candidate to choose is: What tone has President Obama set -- and what tone do you think Mitt Romney would set?
TERRY M. GERNSTEIN
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Washington Post to readers: Send us your gun violence stories for Sandy Hook anniversary
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- MILLER: Dick Heller challenges D.C.s gun registration, files for summary judgment in Heller II
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death