- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Damian Lewis and Jon Cryer win big at Emmy Awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) - What is “Two and a Half Men” with Jon Cryer and without Charlie Sheen? Really good was the Emmy Awards verdict Sunday as Cryer claimed the best comedy actor trophy.
“Don’t panic, people. Something has clearly gone terribly wrong. I’m stunned,” said Cryer, who on the red carpet before the show has expressed confidence he wouldn’t win. Among others, he beat out two-time winner Jim Parsons of “The Big Bang Theory.”
Ashton Kutcher, who joined the show after Sheen was fired, wasn’t nominated.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus was honored as best actress in comedy for “Veep” and she and fellow nominee Amy Poehler of “Parks and Recreation” pretended to switch their speech notes.
On the drama side, Aaron Paul won best supporting drama actor for “Breaking Bad.” “Homeland” won the best writing award and its leading actor Damian Lewis also won, beating Steve Buscemi, Bryan Cranston and Jon Hamm. Maggie Smith of “Downton Abbey” won for best supporting actress in a drama series.
“Thank you Hollywood for allowing me to be part of your group,” said Paul, noting he’d moved from Idaho to pursue his dreams.
“Modern Family” made it look easy as the comedy’s Eric Stonestreet and Julie Bowen claimed supporting actor awards, although there was at least a minor backlash online as some questioned whether the show had a deserving season.
Stonestreet was funny and touching as he accepted for his role as half of a devoted gay couple.
“I wouldn’t be standing here without Jesse Tyler Ferguson, there is no Cam without Mitch,” he said, saluting his co-star. “We get the awesome opportunity to play these two characters on TV and show America and the world what a loving couple we can be just like everybody else.”
Then he turned saucy: “I never knew I’d be on TV as a gay man, but I love the pictures of hairy chests you guys are sending me, it’s really amazing. Thank you for those.”
Among reality competitors, “The Amazing Race” was honored as best reality series, ninth time in 10 nominations for the award. Tom Bergeron of “Dancing With the Stars” won as best host of a reality series.
“Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane found presenting can be tricky.
“Oh, the mic’s over there,” he said, after discovering he was on the wrong side of the stage. “This is what happens when you don’t come to rehearsal,” MacFarlane said.
Fashionistas noticed yellow was hot, the color of choice for Julianne Moore, a pregnant Claire Danes, Julie Bowen and Hannah Simone from “New Girl.”
“Best hair and makeup goes to Claine Danes. Perfect!” tweeted Emma Roberts.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes