- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
`MANDY PATINKIN, HOLLA!’
Claire Danes came up with the catchphrase of the night when she saluted her “Homeland” co-star during her Emmy acceptance speech thusly: “Mandy Patinkin, holla.”
Danes, taking the stage after winning best actress in a drama for the Showtime series, mentioned several names before matter-of-factly calling out Patinkin in the most unexpected way.
Twitter went nuts, with many people suggesting that this saying needs to become a meme, and soon.
As the pop-culture site (at)Gawker put it: “`Mandy Patinkin, holla’ is the new Angelina Jolie’s leg.” From New York Magazine’s (at)Vulture site: “`Mandy Patinkin, holla’ is the best thank-you ever.” And from NPR’s (at)nprmonkeysee: “If the Internet doesn’t remix `Mandy Patinkin, holla’ by tomorrow morning, it is a failure.”
If someone can figure out a way to incorporate Patinkin’s famous line from “The Princess Bride” _ “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die” _ then the Internet might truly be worthwhile after all.
EDITOR’S NOTE _ Show Bits brings you the 64th annual Primetime Emmy Awards through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- KEENE: Familiar refrains from Britain's 'Tea Party'
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.