- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
EMMYS AND THE OLYMPICS
Question of the Day
Kevin Costner is a movie star, but he crossed over Sunday night by winning an Emmy Award for his work in “Hatfields and McCoys” and promptly brought up _ a sports reference?
Costner likened his golden, double-winged Emmy to something you might see at the Olympics, prompting a question backstage about what he was trying to get at.
Turns out it had a lot to do with trying to sprint through a speech while juggling a heavy, pointy object.
“A lot of things come flooding into your mind when you have 40 seconds. What to say and who to say it to and yet you’ve got this weight in your hand. At one point I just started looking down at it and I couldn’t help but think of some of those Olympic … that there were some sports that look kind of like this,” Costner said backstage.
_ Anthony McCartney _ Twitter http://twittter.com/mccartneyAP.
EDITOR’S NOTE _ Show Bits brings you the 64th annual Primetime Emmy Awards through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq