- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Jets’ Revis has torn ACL, will likely miss season
“Most teams have just one No. 1 corner, and some teams don’t even have any,” Ryan said. “We’re fortunate that we have the best in the league in Darrelle, and a No. 1 corner in Cromartie. We’re fortunate there. We drafted Kyle Wilson to basically be a No. 2 corner, and that’s what he’s going to play, that role, and I’m confident in Kyle.”
Ryan insists he isn’t panicking despite losing the three-time All-Pro cornerback.
“It never happens,” he said. “We have enough to get it done here. … We’ll find a way to get this done.”
Ryan also didn’t rule out signing a free agent. The Jets released defensive lineman Marcus Dixon on Monday, and Ryan said the move was made in part so the team could pursue other players _ such as bringing back linebacker Bryan Thomas. Rookie wide receiver Stephen Hill has a hamstring injury that could sideline him a week, so the Jets re-signed Patrick Turner.
“It’s an onus on the whole defense,” linebacker Aaron Maybin said of losing Revis. “We know that we all have to step up, and on offense and special teams. It’s going to be a collective effort because when you have a guy like that go down, it really does affect the whole team.”
The Jets, despite their mistake-filled win at Miami, are in first place in the AFC East at 2-1, holding the tiebreaker over Buffalo. But tough home games against San Francisco and Houston are up next.
“This is a team game, and as a team, we’ve got to step it up,” Ryan said. “I think we’ll respond. … Is it a major blow when you lose a great player like Darrelle Revis? Of course, it absolutely is. But this is a football team, and I think we showed that yesterday, too.”
The injury further clouds the contract status of Revis, who reported for training camp in July despite saying he was unsure if he would because he was hoping the Jets would rework the $46 million, four-year deal he signed in 2010. He is set to earn $13.5 million during the next two years after the deal _ reached after a 36-day holdout in 2010 _ was front-loaded with $32.5 million in the first two years.
But after not getting a new deal this offseason, many thought Revis and the team would re-visit the matter after this season. If he doesn’t have a new contract by training camp next summer, he could become a free agent after the 2013 season.
“Yeah, I want to be a Jet for life,” Revis said in July. “If management don’t see fit (to) that, then I have to move on.”
NOTES: LB Calvin Pace clarified his postgame comments about Dolphins RB Reggie Bush when he said the Jets “had to put him on out.” Bush injured his left knee Sunday, but should be fine. “I wasn’t trying to say it as if we were trying to hurt him,” Pace said Monday. “I’m sad to see him get hurt. We aren’t running any kind of bounty system or anything like that, and actually, looking at the play, somebody just fell on his knee. That’s all I have to say. I guess I need to say things in a different manner, and I’ll do a better job of it next time.” … Through three games, the Jets have just three sacks: two by linebacker Garrett McIntyre and one by nose tackle Sione Po’uha.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Paul takes veiled shot at Cruz, says GOP must focus on growth
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again