- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
SHOW BITS: Heidi plays traffic cop; Kevin recalls
But he borrowed a trophy so he could pose for a photo with his writing team. He promised to return it before leaving the theater.
_ Sandy Cohen _ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/apsandy
`MANDY PATINKIN, HOLLA!’
Claire Danes came up with the catchphrase of the night when she saluted her “Homeland” co-star during her Emmy acceptance speech thusly: “Mandy Patinkin, holla.”
Danes, taking the stage after winning best actress in a drama for the Showtime series, mentioned several names before matter-of-factly calling out Patinkin in the most unexpected way.
Twitter went nuts, with many people suggesting that this saying needs to become a meme, and soon.
As the pop-culture site (at)Gawker put it: “`Mandy Patinkin, holla’ is the new Angelina Jolie’s leg.” From New York Magazine’s (at)Vulture site: “`Mandy Patinkin, holla’ is the best thank-you ever.” And from NPR’s (at)nprmonkeysee: “If the Internet doesn’t remix `Mandy Patinkin, holla’ by tomorrow morning, it is a failure.”
Others suggested that Jewish delis begin baking Mandy Patinkin challah. Still others made references to Patinkin’s Broadway bona fides with “Evita” jokes.
If someone can figure out a way to incorporate Patinkin’s famous line from “The Princess Bride” _ “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die” _ then the Internet might truly be worthwhile after all.
_ Christy Lemire _ Twitter: https://twitter.com/christylemire
`HOMELAND’ STAR JOKES ABOUT PLAYING HOUSE
Married actor Damian Lewis joked to reporters that he might be doing some extra celebrating with “Homeland” co-star Claire Danes, who is also married and came to the Emmys with a baby bump.
“We’re going away to a romantic island together,” the red-headed British actor joked. “When that baby is ginger you guys are going to have a field day.”
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: Harry Reid's corrupt Senate house of cards
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again