- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America the ostrich
Question of the Day
We say that we’re not at war with Islam. Yet it’s been abundantly clear since Sept. 11, 2001, that a contingent of Islam is at war with us (“5 Questions with Geert Wilders,” Web, Sept. 14).
Dutch Parliament member Geert Wilders quotes President Woodrow Wilson, who said, “America cannot afford to behave like an ostrich with its head in the sand.” The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Afghanistan, and Muslim brothers-in-arms shoot our soldiers in the back. The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Libya, and Muslim freedom fighters supported earlier by the ostrich destroyed the ostrich’s embassy and killed its ambassador. The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Egypt, yet the Egyptian military supported by the ostrich was a day late defending our embassy.
I don’t know whether to be glad or sad that the ostrich is not at war with Islam, but it’s clear to me that culture matters.
GEORGE F. STEEG
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'