- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America the ostrich
Question of the Day
We say that we’re not at war with Islam. Yet it’s been abundantly clear since Sept. 11, 2001, that a contingent of Islam is at war with us (“5 Questions with Geert Wilders,” Web, Sept. 14).
Dutch Parliament member Geert Wilders quotes President Woodrow Wilson, who said, “America cannot afford to behave like an ostrich with its head in the sand.” The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Afghanistan, and Muslim brothers-in-arms shoot our soldiers in the back. The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Libya, and Muslim freedom fighters supported earlier by the ostrich destroyed the ostrich’s embassy and killed its ambassador. The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Egypt, yet the Egyptian military supported by the ostrich was a day late defending our embassy.
I don’t know whether to be glad or sad that the ostrich is not at war with Islam, but it’s clear to me that culture matters.
GEORGE F. STEEG
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'