- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America the ostrich
We say that we’re not at war with Islam. Yet it’s been abundantly clear since Sept. 11, 2001, that a contingent of Islam is at war with us (“5 Questions with Geert Wilders,” Web, Sept. 14).
Dutch Parliament member Geert Wilders quotes President Woodrow Wilson, who said, “America cannot afford to behave like an ostrich with its head in the sand.” The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Afghanistan, and Muslim brothers-in-arms shoot our soldiers in the back. The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Libya, and Muslim freedom fighters supported earlier by the ostrich destroyed the ostrich’s embassy and killed its ambassador. The ostrich is not at war with Islam in Egypt, yet the Egyptian military supported by the ostrich was a day late defending our embassy.
I don’t know whether to be glad or sad that the ostrich is not at war with Islam, but it’s clear to me that culture matters.
GEORGE F. STEEG
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
Get Breaking Alerts
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Mike Shanahan says he'd like to return; RG3 might be benched