- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Poor voters also back Romney
The points made in “Myth of Romney incompetence” (Commentary, Sept. 19) may be true, but GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s recent statements seemingly writing off the 47 percent of Americans not paying federal income tax as automatic votes for President Obama is faulty logic that should be offensive to many poorer Romney supporters.
Mr. Obama’s support here in Northern Virginia, hardly an economically deprived area overall, is likely higher than in most other areas of the state. His support, therefore, must be coming from relatively well-off liberal Democrats who always buy into the tax-the-rich, wealth-redistribution policies of the Democratic Party. If Mr. Obama were picking up all the votes of the lower economic classes, the election would be an unbeatable landslide. It will not be because there are plenty of those who are less fortunate than most of us who want to back Mr. Romney. He owes them an apology.
The only difference between most liberal Democrats and a pickpocket is that the pickpocket knows exactly what he is — a common thief. Liberal Democrats fancy themselves as morally superior because they support the forced spending of other people’s income on various wealth-redistribution schemes their party uses in an attempt to buy votes.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable