- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
Cover story: Buyers warm up to homes with fireplaces
“You want that to be the center of attention,” she said. “For the mantle, you want symmetry with a little group of three things of varying heights — like vases or candles — on either side.”
Don’t block the fireplace with couches or chairs, Ms. Tantawy said. “You want to be able to walk up to the fireplace.”
For the hearth, she said, it’s a nice touch to have elegant fire tools and perhaps a basket with wood or blankets. “It’s a very cozy look, and people really respond to it.”
If it’s a cold day, it makes sense to light a fire for a showing or open house, Ms. Tantawy said.
“Obviously, it would be ridiculous in the summer, but it might be nice to put candles or a candelabra in the fireplace so you’re not left with a big black hole,” she said.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- BRUCE: The power of 'bossy'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014