- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Patti Smith: Bryn Mawr College to honor rocker
BRYN MAWR, Pa. (AP) — Bryn Mawr College will honor rock music veteran Patti Smith for her artistic accomplishments and pioneering spirit.
The women’s liberal arts school near Philadelphia announced that Miss Smith will receive the 2013 Katharine Hepburn Medal.
The college on Wednesday called Miss Smith “a trailblazer in the male-dominated world of rock ‘n’ roll.” She also wrote a critically acclaimed memoir in 2010.
Miss Smith will receive the medal at a campus event on Feb. 7. A performance for students is being planned.
The medal is given to women who embody “the intelligence, drive and independence” of the Oscar-winning Hepburn, a college alumna for whom it is named.
Hepburn graduated from Bryn Mawr in 1928. Previous winners include actresses Lauren Bacall and Blythe Danner.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014