- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Suspect in killing was actor Sons of Anarchy actor
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Court records show “Sons of Anarchy” actor Johnny Lewis was released from jail a week before being found dead in his driveway after police say he apparently killed his landlady.
Los Angeles police said Thursday that the 28-year-old Lewis is the only suspect in the death of 81-year-old Catherine Davis, who was discovered slain inside the hillside home in Los Feliz.
Authorities say they are investigating Davis’ death and that it appears she was beaten. They say the actor died after climbing atop the home and either jumping or falling to the ground.
According to records, Lewis pleaded no contest to assault with a deadly weapon and attempted burglary this year.
He spent time at a drug- and psychiatric-treatment center. He was released from county jail Sept. 21.
Calls and messages to Lewis’ agent and attorney were not immediately returned.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
It was unclear Thursday whether “Sons of Anarchy” actor Johnny Lewis fell or jumped to his death after apparently killing his landlady at a hillside home near Hollywood, police said.
The body of Johnny Lewis, 28, was found in the driveway of the Los Feliz home Wednesday morning after neighbors reported hearing a woman screaming in the home, Cmdr. Andrew Smith said.
The body of 81-year-old Catherine Davis was found inside the home.
“She was possibly beaten,” although coroner’s officials will determine the exact cause of death, Smith said.
Lewis had rented a room from Davis “for a short period of time” and although there were no witnesses, he is suspected of killing her, Smith said.
No one else was home at the time and investigators were not seeking anyone else for the crime, the commander said.
Reports of a woman screaming sent officers to the home at 10:42 a.m. Wednesday, where they discovered the bodies, Smith said.
Neighbors also told officers that a man had jumped a fence, assaulted a painter and homeowner next door and jumped back.
TWT Video Picks
Democrats reveal an identity crisis by pretending to be what they're not
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- QADER: Extradite the assassin of Bangladesh's founding father
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs