- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Suspect in killing was actor Sons of Anarchy actor
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Court records show “Sons of Anarchy” actor Johnny Lewis was released from jail a week before being found dead in his driveway after police say he apparently killed his landlady.
Los Angeles police said Thursday that the 28-year-old Lewis is the only suspect in the death of 81-year-old Catherine Davis, who was discovered slain inside the hillside home in Los Feliz.
Authorities say they are investigating Davis’ death and that it appears she was beaten. They say the actor died after climbing atop the home and either jumping or falling to the ground.
According to records, Lewis pleaded no contest to assault with a deadly weapon and attempted burglary this year.
He spent time at a drug- and psychiatric-treatment center. He was released from county jail Sept. 21.
Calls and messages to Lewis’ agent and attorney were not immediately returned.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
It was unclear Thursday whether “Sons of Anarchy” actor Johnny Lewis fell or jumped to his death after apparently killing his landlady at a hillside home near Hollywood, police said.
The body of Johnny Lewis, 28, was found in the driveway of the Los Feliz home Wednesday morning after neighbors reported hearing a woman screaming in the home, Cmdr. Andrew Smith said.
The body of 81-year-old Catherine Davis was found inside the home.
“She was possibly beaten,” although coroner’s officials will determine the exact cause of death, Smith said.
Lewis had rented a room from Davis “for a short period of time” and although there were no witnesses, he is suspected of killing her, Smith said.
No one else was home at the time and investigators were not seeking anyone else for the crime, the commander said.
Reports of a woman screaming sent officers to the home at 10:42 a.m. Wednesday, where they discovered the bodies, Smith said.
Neighbors also told officers that a man had jumped a fence, assaulted a painter and homeowner next door and jumped back.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq