- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Music Review: ‘YOKOKIMTHURSTON’ a weary creation
There are tracks _ six of them, and none shorter than seven minutes. There are chants and groans and poetry and Ono making witchy moans that are about as spooky as one of those $5 haunted houses that spring up every Halloween.
Underneath that is familiar Sonic Youth territory: scraping and scratchy guitars, tinny plinks and plucks, pleasing noise. But there’s never a satisfying end waiting around the corner as Gordon and Moore mostly stay in the backseat, having recorded this project a few months before announcing their split last year that’s put the future of Sonic Youth in doubt.
“YOKOKIMTHURSTON” is avant-garde by a trio who’s carved a career out of making avant-garde palatable to mainstream tastes. But this is art-show fare without melody.
CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: More in the vein of “Mirror Mirror” should’ve been where all this improvisation was headed in the first place. Gordon’s pure voice plays off well when Ono is speaking instead of shrieking.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.