- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama’s demagogic playbook
Question of the Day
Some political pundits have expressed puzzlement at President Obama's continuing attacks on "rich people" for not paying their "fair share" of income taxes. It is well-known that the wealthy already are paying a far larger portion of income taxes than any other group and that if all their income were confiscated, it would pay for just a few extra days of government expenditures. Some Democrats even have admitted as much. From a fiscal standpoint, these pundits note, Mr. Obama's attacks don't make any sense. They are correct.
What they don't recognize is that Mr. Obama is not really interested in the money. Rather, he has chosen to employ an old trick used by demagogues for centuries to gain the support of the common people -- to create animosity toward a small, weak but identifiable group in the country and then lead an attack on that group. This, for example, is what Hitler did with the Jews in Germany, what Stalin did with the Kulaks ("rich" peasants) in Russia, and what Mao Zedong did with the "exploiting class" (landlords) in China.
In most cases, this ploy works like a charm. It distracts the majority of the people from the many other evil things being done by the group in power, and it makes the people believe they are improving the country by helping to kill or suppress the identified group.
The fact that Mr. Obama has embraced the goals of the Occupy Wall Street thugs who have focused their wrath on the "1 percent" reinforces my conviction that the president has adopted this tried-and-true ploy straight out of the demagogue's playbook.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'