- Conrado Marrero dies at 102; ex-Senator was oldest living MLB player
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
Writer behind Suri’s Burn Book blog publishes book
NEW YORK (AP) - Suri Cruise would never wear denim, is on the Dukan Diet and considers Jay-Z and Beyonce’s daughter, Blue Ivy, a rival.
Not the real Suri Cruise, daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, but the one written about in a snarky blog _ and now book _ “Suri’s Burn Book: Well-Dressed Commentary From Hollywood’s Little Sweetheart” (Running Press).
Behind this fictional Suri, who is more Blair Waldorf of TV’s “Gossip Girl” than 6-year-old Suri, is Allie Hagan.
About 18 months ago, Hagan thought she had an idea for a fun hobby: writing a humor blog from Suri’s perspective.
“Every once in a while on my personal Twitter account I’d make little jokes about what Shiloh Jolie-Pitt was wearing or what Suri was up to, and a friend suggested I start a Tumblr account with that kind of humor about celebrity families,” the 25-year-old Hagan, who lives in Washington, D.C., said in a recent interview.
“I knew that if I wrote it from my own perspective, it would come across as unnecessarily mean, possibly creepy. So I tried to think of a different angle.”
Typical posts have a fictional Suri commenting on the outfits of other celebrity children or seeming utterly embarrassed by her parents.
One topic Hagan ditched the cynicism over was the recent split of Suri’s parents. Her Web site had the highest traffic ever on the day Holmes announced she had filed for divorce from Cruise.
“I felt a lot of pressure because even though I think a lot of people saw it as a humorous kind of huge pop culture event … I still see (Suri) as a girl whose parents were splitting up and I didn’t want to make fun of that,” she said.
The resulting post, written as Suri, led with, “Please respect my privacy during this difficult time. (Just mine though _ everyone else is fair game.)”
In the past year, Hagan juggled daily blog posts with more timeless musings for her book of the same name.
She recently quit her day job as an education policy consultant and is now a full-time writer. She says with so much attention placed on Hollywood kids, the possibilities about what to write seem endless.
Hagan hopes Britain’s Kate Middleton and actress Diane Kruger will become mothers.
She said the fictional Suri longs to be royalty and “will be distraught” if the Duchess of Cambridge has children.
And Hagan is a fan of Kruger and her longtime boyfriend (and former Holmes’ co-star and love interest) Joshua Jackson.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014