- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Limited activity for Jaguars’ Maurice Jones-Drew in opener
Question of the Day
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Maurice Jones-Drew will begin the season much like he did his NFL career: as a backup and third-down running back.
Jacksonville Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey says he expects Jones-Drew to rotate in on third downs Sunday at Minnesota. Mularkey says the NFL’s leading rusher in 2011 also will “get a series” in place of starter Rashad Jennings.
Mularkey says Jones-Drew looks to be in playing shape. “If you look at him physically, yes, I’d say he looks game-ready,” says Mularkey, who adds that he will have a better feel for MJD’s readiness after a fully padded practice Wednesday.
Jones-Drew ended a 38-day holdout Sunday without a new contract. He asked the team to rework the final two years of his five-year, $31 million contract, and the Jaguars declined.
49ers’ Haralson placed on IR
SAN FRANCISCO — The San Francisco 49ers lost a key member of their talented defense after placing linebacker Parys Haralson on injured reserve. San Francisco also signed linebacker Clark Haggans to a one-year contract to help fill the void.
Details of Haralson’s injury weren’t disclosed, but he is believed to have injured an arm in an exhibition game Aug. 26.
Around the league
BEARS: Chicago signed defensive tackle Amobi Okoye to a one-year contract and waived DT Brian Price. Okoye, the 10th overall pick by Houston in 2007, played for the Bears last season and had four sacks. He signed a one-year, $2 million contract with Tampa Bay during the offseason, had arthroscopic knee surgery in June and reached an injury settlement Friday.
RAIDERS: Oakland cornerback Joselio Hanson to bolster their secondary. The Raiders released 2011 third-round pick DeMarcus Van Dyke on Monday to make room for Hanson on the roster. Hanson was released last week by Philadelphia.
STEELERS: Pittsburgh wide receiver Mike Wallace said here’s no need to hold him back for Sunday’s season opener in Denver despite a holdout that didn’t end until last week. The Pro Bowl player insists the Steelers don’t need to “limit” him as he get up to speed on new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s playbook. Pittsburgh is hoping linebacker James Harrison can play Sunday night. Harrison, who underwent minor knee surgery last month, went through most of practice Monday.
BILLS: Buffalo backup quarterback Tyler Thigpen accepted a $1 million pay cut to improve his chances of staying on the team entering the season. Thigpen now is set to make a base salary of $1.5 million in the second year of a three-year contract he signed last summer.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq