- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 4, 2012

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos on Tuesday announced the signing of a preliminary agreement with Colombia’s main leftist rebel group to launch peace talks to end a century-old conflict that has claimed tens of thousands of lives.

The agreement does not include a cease-fire, Mr. Santos said, and does not include the granting of a safe haven, as occurred in the last peace talks, which ended in disaster in 2002.

Mr. Santos said the talks would begin in early October in Oslo and would continue in Havana. Cuba’s communist government has mediated in past peace efforts and maintains surprisingly good relations with Colombia’s conservative government

Last week, Mr. Santos announced that preliminary talks to end the confrontation with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, already had been held.

RCN Radio of Colombia, which is run by a cousin of Mr. Santos’, earlier published what it said was the text of the preliminary agreement between the Santos government and the FARC.

The document names the Cuban and Norwegian governments as “guarantors” of the discussions, and Venezuela and Chile as “participants.”

The radio station reported that the agenda for discussion includes six central points: agrarian reform, political participation, drug trafficking, victims and reparations, ending the conflict and implementation of the peace deal. It said that Colombia and the FARC had been in preliminary discussions since late February.

A FARC delegation now in Havana is believed to include some members of the rebels’ ruling Secretariat, most of whom have grown old in the jungles as the stubborn conflict has dragged on. The ruling council includes Pablo Catatumbo and Mauricio Jaramillo, top military leaders. Another big name who might have a role to play is Rodrigo Granda, who was once called the FARC’s foreign minister and is considered a top negotiator, though he is not a member of the Secretariat.

The FARC has about 9,000 fighters but has suffered major setbacks in recent years, and the smaller National Liberation Army has 3,000 combatants. Mr. Santos has said they, too, could be interested in laying down their arms, though officials have not said they are part of the current discussions.

The last peace effort with the FARC ended in disaster in 2002, after three years of talks in a Switzerland-sized safe haven carved out of southern Colombia by then-President Andres Pastrana. The rebels never agreed to a cease-fire, nor did they stop kidnappings for ransom or trafficking in cocaine.

Since then, the FARC has been stung by a U.S.-backed military buildup called Plan Colombia, and by an aggressive counterinsurgency program that roughly halved the group’s numbers. Since 2008, three senior FARC leaders have been slain in military raids, including top commander Alfonso Cano.

Cuban leader Raul Castro and his brother are among the only leaders left in Latin America old enough to remember the start of the Colombian insurgency as grownups, and they have long sought to play a leading role in regional affairs.

FARC and ELN members long have lived and received medical treatment on the island, often with the tacit approval of the Colombian government. Nonetheless, their presence has been one factor in the U.S. decision to label Cuba as a state-sponsor of terrorism, a designation that Cuba hotly contests.

Paul Haven reported from Havana.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide