- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
Mexico opening first mariachi school
MEXICO CITY (AP) - A Mexican cultural center says it is opening the country’s first school dedicated to mariachi music.
Mariachi performing has traditionally been something passed down through families. But school director Leticia Soto Flores says there is increasing demand for mariachi instruction.
The Ollin Yoliztli Cultural Center is opening the mariachi school Oct. 8 at the Plaza Garibaldi in downtown Mexico City. The plaza is a traditional site for strolling mariachis.
The school begins accepting applications Monday and will consider 200 applicants for 72 positions in the first class, which will graduate in three years. The school will cost the equivalent of $190 a year.
It will include classes in trumpet, violin and guitar, along with music theory and the history of mariachi music.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.