- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Tuning In to TV: Michelle Obama gets raves for Tracy Reese dress
The sleeveless dress showed off Mrs. Obama’s famously toned arms, and the length modestly skirted her knees. She paired the dress with pink pumps from J. Crew, and her fingernails were painted a trendy blue-gray.
Ms. Reese described the dress as a “silk jacquard in an abstract baroque wallpaper patter” with a bodice in hot pink woven with rust and copper. It’s not the first time Mrs. Obama chose a design by Ms. Reese, who is showing a new collection Sunday during New York Fashion Week.
In an email, Ms. Reese said the first lady “looked incredible and spoke beautifully; I am so honored that she chose to wear one of my designs for such a memorable occasion.”
Commentators also praised her look. “You may not be a fan of her politics,” Kate Hogan wrote on People magazine’s website, “but it’s likely that if you watched the Democratic National Convention Tuesday night, you were a fan of Michelle Obama’s elegant ensemble.”
Hanks, Timberlake among Stand Up to Cancer stars
More A-listers have signed on to support the third Stand Up to Cancer telethon.
Organizers say Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Justin Timberlake, Sofia Vergara, and Olympic gold medalists Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin will participate in the hour-long TV special. It is set to air Friday on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and more than a dozen cable channels.
The slate of stars announced Wednesday will join previously announced participants such as Julia Roberts, Matt Damon, Michael Douglas, Jessica Biel, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Renner, Seth Rogen, Emma Stone and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Miss Paltrow also is an executive producer of the fundraiser that will be carried commercial-free from 8 to 9 p.m. EDT from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles.
Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Coldplay and Alicia Keys are set to perform during the special, and patients participating in Stand Up to Cancer trials will share their experiences.
Stand Up to Cancer has raised more than $180 million for cancer research and awareness since the telethon was established in 2008. The organization said it has awarded grants to seven multidisciplinary research “dream teams” and to scientists seeking innovative approaches to end cancer’s role as the world’s leading cause of death.
Stand Up to Cancer was co-founded by “Spider-Man” movie producer Laura Ziskin, who produced its first two telethons in 2008 and 2010. Ziskin lost her seven-year fight against breast cancer last year.
GOP convention helps Univision win viewers 18-49
Univision can thank the Republicans for a milestone week in the television ratings.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- 2-week truce for hot sauce maker, California city
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014