- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Redskins schedule 2012
Sun., Sept. 9 at New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m., Fox
Quarterback Robert Griffin III debuts in his family’s hometown. Coach Mike Shanahan can finally unleash whatever new wrinkles he has added to his offense with Griffin on the team. The Saints will be led by interim-interim head coach Aaron Kromer in the wake of their bounty scandal.
Sun., Sept. 16 at St. Louis Rams, 4:05 p.m., Fox
The Redskins can thank St. Louis brass in person for the blockbuster trade that enabled them to move up in the draft to select Griffin. The Rams (2-14), one of three teams in the conference with a worse record than Washington in 2011, are now coached by longtime Shanahan friend Jeff Fisher.
Griffin debuts at home against a team that made the playoffs in 2011 with a rookie quarterback — Andy Dalton, a second-rounder out of Texas Christian. The Bengals provided a model for success the Redskins could benefit from: the seventh-ranked defense and a serviceable running game.
Sun., Sept. 30 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4:25 p.m., Fox
Another game against a team with fewer wins than the Redskins had last season qualifies as a must-win. The Bucs have a new coach in Greg Schiano, formerly of Rutgers. Schiano replaced Raheem Morris, who now coaches the Redskins’ defensive backs. Morris’ knowledge of Tampa Bay’s personnel should help.
Sun., Oct. 7 vs. Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m., Fox
The Falcons also recently established a blueprint for making the playoffs with a rookie quarterback. Matt Ryan, the third-overall pick in 2008, relied on a running game that ranked second in the NFL that season with 152.7 yards per game. Roddy White and Julio Jones could be the NFL’s best receiving tandem this year.
Sun., Oct. 14 vs. Minnesota Vikings, 4:25 p.m., Fox
The Vikings won only three games last season, but one of them was over Washington on Christmas Eve. Running back Adrian Peterson tore left knee ligaments in that game. The Redskins must have a winning record after this one because the schedule becomes much more difficult.
Sun., Oct. 21 at New York Giants, 1 p.m., Fox
The Redskins, oddly, don’t play an NFC East opponent until Week 7, and this is their only divisional game in the first nine. Griffin will encounter Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who defiantly calls him “Bob Griffin” instead of “RG3.”
Sun., Oct. 28 at Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m., Fox
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Vice reporter Simon Ostrovsky being held by east Ukraine militants: report
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.