- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Hanson 1 off lead despite worries about ill son
HILVERSUM, NETHERLANDS (AP) - Ryder Cup player Peter Hanson received an exemption from KLM Open officials to use his mobile phone during play on Saturday so he could keep in contact with his wife over his seriously ill 1-year-old son.
Hanson’s son, Tim, contracted a respiratory virus known as RS and was isolated on Friday in the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando, Fla., where the Swede is based with his family.
RS is common in small children. Hanson said his 5-year-old daughter, Stella, brought the virus home from school and passed it to Tim, his wife and their nanny. Only Tim was seriously ill.
“I’ve been told it’s a very dangerous virus in young children and it’s also very aggressive,” Hanson said.
With the virus being contagious, Hanson was warned by doctors to avoid his family, for now. So he elected to stay in the KLM Open, though he said he slept for only half an hour on Friday night.
Despite his concerns for his family and lack of sleep, he carded a 67 and was only a stroke behind the leaders heading into the final round.
“The doctors said that when they cough it could be just so easy for me to pick up the virus and that’s the last thing I need going to Medinah (for the Ryder Cup),” he said.
“It’s just so tough as my mind is over in Florida with my wife and children but then I’m still trying to focus and win this event, particularly now I am only one behind.”
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014