- - Sunday, September 9, 2012

KENTUCKY

LOUISVILLE — Louisville police say a man charged with killing one person and critically injuring another in a dispute about a fence gave “an account of what happened” after being arrested.

Lt. Barry Wilkerson wouldn’t say whether Mahmoud Yousef Hindi, 55, confessed. Lt. Wilkerson said investigators were trying to confirm the details of Mr. Hindi’s statement.

Police say the shooting happened Thursday evening at a homeowners association meeting in eastern Louisville.

Mr. Hindi had been in a long-running dispute with the organization about the height and direction of the fence around his house as well as a recently constructed driveway.

CALIFORNIA

Man pleads guilty in friend’s grisly death

CRESCENT CITY — A Northern California mixed-martial-arts expert accused of ripping out his friend’s heart and removing his tongue while the two were on hallucinogenic drugs has pleaded guilty to murder and mayhem charges.

Jarrod Wyatt of Crescent City agreed to a plea deal in which he will serve 50 years to life in prison, Del Norte County prosecutors said. His official sentencing is scheduled Oct. 4.

Wyatt pleaded guilty to first-degree murder involving mayhem in the March 21, 2010, death of his sparring partner, 21-year-old Taylor Powell, prosecutors said.

“The earliest he’ll be able to see a parole board is 2062,” District Attorney Jon Alexander said. “We saved Taylor’s family the agony from reliving the incident at the trial.”

Wyatt’s attorney, James Fallman, said his 29-year-old client didn’t want to testify at trial and he didn’t want his family to testify.

NEW JERSEY

Jury finds father guilty of tossing infant into river

NEW BRUNSWICK | A man who kidnapped his infant daughter from her grandmother’s home and tossed the child from a New Jersey bridge into the icy river was convicted Friday of murdering her.

Shamsidden Abdur-Raheem, 24, bowed his head and showed little reaction as guilty verdicts for murder, kidnapping and related charges were read in state superior court in New Brunswick.

The child’s mother, Venetta Benjamin, who testified during the trial, gasped and teared up as the verdict was read. She later thanked all those “who have worked tirelessly on this case and verdict, to ensure justice for my daughter,” adding; “God is good.”

New Jersey’s attorney general lauded the verdict, saying it was “a chapter in a tragedy, but a chapter that needed to be written,” in a case that prompted an overhaul of the state’s rules on issuing missing-child alerts.•

Abdur-Raheem admitted during the trial that he threw 3-month-old Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem from a Garden State Parkway bridge into the Raritan River on Feb. 16, 2010. But he said he thought the child already was dead from injuries she suffered during a fight with the baby’s grandmother.

MASSACHUSETTS

Boy, 12, takes the wheel after dad suffers seizure

PEABODY — A 12-year-old boy steered his family’s car to safety along Interstate 95 after his father suffered what appeared to be a seizure while driving, then brought his younger sister to safety behind a guardrail while waiting for help, state police said.

The boy, who’s from Dracut, took the wheel Saturday, steered it into a southbound breakdown lane in Peabody and applied the brakes, troopers said. He then used his dad’s cellphone to call 911.

He told the dispatcher that his father was having a seizure while driving on the highway, state police said. He didn’t know where he was or what road he was on, but was able to describe landmarks. Officials were only able to narrow the location to Peabody, about 20 miles north of Boston, by tracking the cellphone signal.

State police say the search was difficult because of several highways in the area, but troopers found the family shortly after the boy called 911.

NEW YORK

Two tornadoes raise city total to 10 since ‘07

NEW YORK — Most people wouldn’t say New York and tornado in the same breath.

But two twisters that touched down in the nation’s biggest city on Saturday are the latest of about 60 small tornadoes that have hit the area in the past half-century, the years for which complete data are available. Saturday’s pair brings to 10 the total number of tornadoes since 2007 in New York City, according to the National Weather Service.

To some, the tornadoes of the past few years might appear to be an uptick in the trend. Not so fast, said meteorologist David Stark of the weather service.

“In the past five years, there’s been a slight increase in the number of tornadoes in the area, but it’s too short a period of time to say it’s a growing trend,” said Mr. Stark. Some analysts think the proliferation of smartphones and the ability to capture funnel clouds on video has led to better reporting of tornadoes in the New York area.

On Sunday, power had been restored for the more than 1,100 customers in New York who had lost it. No deaths or injuries were reported.

• From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide