- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Gang of Eight’ deliberately using secrecy
Question of the Day
Sorry, Mr. Lincoln, but “a government of the people, by the people, and for the people” has just perished, made amply clear by the secret dealings of the collusive “Gang of Eight” that is about to force an amnesty plan down the unwilling people’s throats (“Immigration agreement ‘very close’ in Congress; guest workers still a hurdle,” Web, Wednesday).
It is bad enough that this like-minded group of senators will have their way, along with an imperial president on an existential issue like amnesty and “immigration reform” — but even worse is the consistently one-sided reporting by The Washington Times’ chief reporter on the issue, Seth McLaughlin, on the front page, above the fold.
In this most recent piece, Mr. McLaughlin quotes only voices from the pro-amnesty groups. He also claims that it was a fight between business and labor leaders that scuttled the last go in 2007. Wrong, Mr. McLaughlin; it was a massive grass-roots protest “by the people” that melted the congressional switchboards and overwhelmed their servers and left Congress cowering in their offices and voting down the measure. Secrecy will preclude a repeat of that.The prospect of amnesty and the gimmickry of sequestration cuts for border enforcement will trigger a new wave of illegal invaders through Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano’s “secure borders.” They will soon join the presumed 11 million illegals (though there are likely many more) waiting to be registered by the Democratic apparatchiks and led to the spoils of the welfare state.Sorry, Honest Abe, but our forefathers misjudged their political progeny. Your contemporary, Lord Tennyson, better described our current and vanishing “government of the people” when he said, “Theirs not to make reply; Theirs not to reason why … .” Today, it’s “Theirs but to” pay the bills and suffer the burdens imposed by a secretive government of elites.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'