- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
Three killed in 95-car pileup on Virginia highway
Three were killed Sunday in 17 separate wrecks involving 95 cars along Interstate 77, a highway that runs through the mountainous region of Virginia near the North Carolina border.
Another 25 were injured, Virginia State Police said, The Associated Press reports.
The road is known for its foggy areas — and since 1997, at least six massive pileups have occurred on that portion of highway, near the base of Fancy Gap Mountain, AP reports. But Sunday's was by far the worst.
"This mountain is notorious for fog banks," said Glen Sage of the American Red Cross office for the town of Galax, AP reports. "They have advance signs warning people. But the problem is, people are seeing well and suddenly they're in a fog bank."
Cars started wrecking about 1:15 p.m. on Sunday, AP reports. At the center of the wreck were eight vehicles, which had caught fire.
State police reported traffic on Sunday was backed up about eight miles. On Monday, the road was reopened.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sbarro pizza chain files second bankruptcy in three years
- Bishop in Aleppo: 'We Christians live in fear in Syria'
- Peter King on Rand Paul: He appeals to 'lowest common denominator'
- Long-time Obama aide leaving White House
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: 'Turn your clocks back'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again