- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
HARRIS: Alex Ovechkin surge boosts entire Caps roster
Question of the Day
The cherry blossoms are out and, my, don’t they look lovely. The weather is turning warm. The Nationals’ season has begun and they have their first home series against the Braves this weekend.
It’s a grand time to be in good ol’ D.C.
Just not for any of those reasons.
The real reason this is a high-fiving time in the nation’s capital is it looks like The Great 8 is back in town, and not just for a quick visit. It looks like he is here to stay.
Alex Ovechkin needs to go buy a lottery ticket. He’d win. He needs to go play in the Masters. He’d win. He needs to find a horse to ride in the Kentucky Derby. He’d win. He needs to go put on a Nats uniform and hit a couple of home runs to help them beat the Braves. Heck, if RG3 doesn’t make it back in time from his knee surgery … you get the idea.
Ovechkin is hot and he’s carrying the Caps along for the ride. Sure, others are playing well. Sure, they don’t do anything without being a team and all that. But let’s make one thing clear — Alex Ovechkin rows that boat.
With apologies to Reggie Jackson, who first used the line when he joined the New York Yankees in 1977, Alex Ovechkin is the straw that stirs the drink. Maybe more than anyone in any sport.
When he’s on, the Capitals are on. It really is that simple.
And, boy, is he on now. Going into the Caps’ home game Thursday night against the Carolina Hurricanes, he has 26 goals in this lockout-shortened season. That is tied for the league lead.
He had two goals through the first 10 games. In the past 13, the Caps are 10-2-1 and Ovechkin has 16 goals and six assists.
Washington is in good position to make the playoffs and could go on a nice run toward the Stanley Cup. Laughable two months ago, not so much now.
Ovechkin has worked his way into the MVP conversation. Though he isn’t a front-runner, he at least has to be considered.
Laughable two months ago, not so much now.
Ovechkin, only 27 despite being around seemingly forever, is an interesting study.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Washington Times sports editor Mike Harris has more than 30 years experience in the business as a reporter, columnist and manager. He’s covered a wide variety of events including two Olympics, horse racing, auto racing, professional and college sports. E-mail him at email@example.com and follow the section on Twitter @WashTimesSports.
- HARRIS: Break but don't bend? Bryce Harper quandary rears its head again for Nats
- HARRIS: Offseason nothing to look forward to for Caps or Wizards
- HARRIS: D.C. not yet spellbound by Wizards, but they're no illusion
- HARRIS: Echoes of 1978 NBA champs in these Wizards
- HARRIS: Wizards have moved to head of D.C.'s class
Latest Blog Entries
- Gio Gonzalez living a dream by throwing bullpen sessions to ex-Yankee Jorge Posada
- Meet Connor Carrick, the youngster who played his way onto the Caps' final roster
- Go Aggies: Nationals notes and lineups for Sept. 14
- RG3: There is no conflict with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan
- Sunday Nats-Dodgers lineups and some thoughts from reliever Craig Stammen
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq