- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
HARRIS: Alex Ovechkin surge boosts entire Caps roster
The cherry blossoms are out and, my, don’t they look lovely. The weather is turning warm. The Nationals’ season has begun and they have their first home series against the Braves this weekend.
It’s a grand time to be in good ol’ D.C.
Just not for any of those reasons.
The real reason this is a high-fiving time in the nation’s capital is it looks like The Great 8 is back in town, and not just for a quick visit. It looks like he is here to stay.
Alex Ovechkin needs to go buy a lottery ticket. He’d win. He needs to go play in the Masters. He’d win. He needs to find a horse to ride in the Kentucky Derby. He’d win. He needs to go put on a Nats uniform and hit a couple of home runs to help them beat the Braves. Heck, if RG3 doesn’t make it back in time from his knee surgery … you get the idea.
Ovechkin is hot and he’s carrying the Caps along for the ride. Sure, others are playing well. Sure, they don’t do anything without being a team and all that. But let’s make one thing clear — Alex Ovechkin rows that boat.
With apologies to Reggie Jackson, who first used the line when he joined the New York Yankees in 1977, Alex Ovechkin is the straw that stirs the drink. Maybe more than anyone in any sport.
When he’s on, the Capitals are on. It really is that simple.
And, boy, is he on now. Going into the Caps’ home game Thursday night against the Carolina Hurricanes, he has 26 goals in this lockout-shortened season. That is tied for the league lead.
He had two goals through the first 10 games. In the past 13, the Caps are 10-2-1 and Ovechkin has 16 goals and six assists.
Washington is in good position to make the playoffs and could go on a nice run toward the Stanley Cup. Laughable two months ago, not so much now.
Ovechkin has worked his way into the MVP conversation. Though he isn’t a front-runner, he at least has to be considered.
Laughable two months ago, not so much now.
Ovechkin, only 27 despite being around seemingly forever, is an interesting study.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Washington Times sports editor Mike Harris has more than 30 years experience in the business as a reporter, columnist and manager. He’s covered a wide variety of events including two Olympics, horse racing, auto racing, professional and college sports. E-mail him at email@example.com and follow the section on Twitter @WashTimesSports.
- HARRIS: Wizards have moved to head of D.C.'s class
- HARRIS: Bad luck or bigger omen, early returns for Nationals are troubling
- HARRIS: Masters has plenty of appeal in Tiger's absence
- HARRIS: Throwing it all away: What to do with Ryan Zimmerman?
- HARRIS: Fans get an early taste of replay's impact on baseball
Latest Blog Entries
- Gio Gonzalez living a dream by throwing bullpen sessions to ex-Yankee Jorge Posada
- Meet Connor Carrick, the youngster who played his way onto the Caps' final roster
- Go Aggies: Nationals notes and lineups for Sept. 14
- RG3: There is no conflict with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan
- Sunday Nats-Dodgers lineups and some thoughts from reliever Craig Stammen
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.