- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama salary giveback insufficient
A 5 percent pay cut for President Obama is but a mere drop in the bucket and no solution to our nation’s distress (“Obama sequesters own salary, plans to give back 5 percent of pay,” Web, April 3). A cut of at least 25 percent would be more appropriate.
It’s time for top government officials to feel the same pinch and make daily concessions as ordinary folks. After all, it is their decisions that caused the sequestration. The war in Afghanistan is draining our nation monetarily, and if our troops were out we might have an easier time balancing the budget. In the meantime, though, our nation recently pledged $60 million in aid to the Syrian rebels, plus another $200 million to Jordan to aid with Syrian refugees. If such money is abundant, why aren’t Americans first in line?
Look at all the homelessness in our nation, with folks eating out of garbage cans. On second thought, I propose a 50 percent cut in Mr. Obama’s salary. Even though $200,000 won’t solve our nation’s woes, it’s the principle.
JOANN LEE FRANK
TWT Video Picks
The Democratic leader's calumnies rival those of Joe McCarthy
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Russian bombers buzz U.K. airspace; jets scrambled to chase off 'Bears'