- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take page from schoolhouse playbook
During the early 20th century, every week of the year approximately 10 schoolhouses in the country were partially or totally destroyed by fire. In one blaze alone, 178 children died. No one suggested stationing a fireman at each school. They designed better fire-protection systems and built fire-hose cabinets for each floor, as well as improved fire escapes.
Today, we have seen many armed shootings at our schools and colleges. The reasons are debatable, but the remedy, as with fire protection, certainly is not the crazy notion to put armed guards on every floor in every school (all 125,000 public schools and 1,500 public colleges), nor to ban all guns being used for any purpose as some suggest. (That’s more than 300 million firearms.)
What is needed is a simple, effective and affordable solution, similar to the solution employed to combat school fires: a secure gun cabinet in every school maintaining a shotgun, a handgun and ammunition, several school personnel trained and certified in the operation of all school defensive armaments and special gun-cabinet access cards to certified personnel only.
We must never infringe on or weaken any of our constitutional rights, including the right to bear arms, or any of the other liberties that have made us the grand country and free people we are today.
JOSEPH J. CARO
Huntington Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers