- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take page from schoolhouse playbook
Question of the Day
During the early 20th century, every week of the year approximately 10 schoolhouses in the country were partially or totally destroyed by fire. In one blaze alone, 178 children died. No one suggested stationing a fireman at each school. They designed better fire-protection systems and built fire-hose cabinets for each floor, as well as improved fire escapes.
Today, we have seen many armed shootings at our schools and colleges. The reasons are debatable, but the remedy, as with fire protection, certainly is not the crazy notion to put armed guards on every floor in every school (all 125,000 public schools and 1,500 public colleges), nor to ban all guns being used for any purpose as some suggest. (That’s more than 300 million firearms.)
What is needed is a simple, effective and affordable solution, similar to the solution employed to combat school fires: a secure gun cabinet in every school maintaining a shotgun, a handgun and ammunition, several school personnel trained and certified in the operation of all school defensive armaments and special gun-cabinet access cards to certified personnel only.
We must never infringe on or weaken any of our constitutional rights, including the right to bear arms, or any of the other liberties that have made us the grand country and free people we are today.
JOSEPH J. CARO
Huntington Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?