- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
Quentin suspended 8 games, Hairston 1 for brawl
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Padres slugger Carlos Quentin was suspended eight games Friday and Los Angeles Dodgers infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. one by Major League Baseball for their roles in a brawl Thursday night.
Quentin rushed the mound after he was hit in the upper left arm by a pitch from Zack Greinke. The two players lowered their shoulders and Quentin slammed into Greinke, who broke his left collarbone in the wild fight that ensued.
Hairston nearly incited a second melee when he ran across the field yelling and gesturing at someone in the Padres’ dugout.
Quentin was gone by the time the clubhouse was opened to reporters following San Diego’s 7-5 loss Friday night to the Colorado Rockies, which dropped the Padres to 2-8.
“We expected the worst and hoped for the best,” manager Bud Black said. “We know it varies from case to case. I think eight was on the high side.”
MLB is believed to be investigating Kemp’s confrontation with Quentin as the players were leaving Petco Park after the game. The two went nose-to-nose before Padres pitcher Clayton Richard got between them. Police and security moved in and broke it up.
Greinke is scheduled to have surgery Saturday and is expected to miss eight weeks.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.