- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Guan wraps up memorable 1st Masters with 75
“It’s such a great week for me,” said Guan, the youngest player to make the cut at a major in the PGA era. “I learned a lot.”
Guan’s performance over four days was truly remarkable for the youngest player by far to play the Masters. He never had a three-putt on Augusta’s perilous greens _ well, he counts one from off the green _ and his worst hole was a bogey.
“I played pretty good,” he said. “I feel a little bit tired today. There are still a lot of things to improve. My short game’s good, but I still need to be better. My driver probably needs to be a little longer.”
Guan made a couple of birdies on the back side, but took a bogey at No. 17 after knocking at shot into a spectator’s plastic bag. At the final hole, he two-putted from about 40 feet for a 12-over 300, receiving a big cheer from the gallery and a handshake from Augusta National chairman Billy Payne.
Guan can’t take any prize money since he’s an amateur. But he’ll get a silver cup as the only amateur to make the cut.
There are no plans to turn pro anytime soon.
“It won’t be too early because there are still a lot of things to learn, to improve,” Guan said. “So nothing to rush.”
Follow Paul Newberry on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pnewberry1963
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again