- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
Florida man building Noah’s Ark replica to push environmentalism
A Florida resident has embarked on an estimated two-year journey to build a replica of Noah’s Ark using precise biblical specifications.
It’s dubbed “Hidden Ark” and it’s to push environmental awareness, United Press International reported. Resident Rodolfo Almira said he thought of the idea after watching animals in Hurricane Katrina struggle to find food and survive, The Miami Herald reported.
Construction started six months ago but has been stalled twice over building permit snafus. UPI said Mr. Almira has received about $300,000 in donations but needs much more. The entire cost of the project is set at $1.5 million.
The ark — described as nonreligious in nature, despite the biblical story — will house a museum, a petting zoo with small animals and a museum, UPI reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- 'Band of Brothers' veteran William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'In Jesus name, we pray' sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Study: Barbie sours girls' career ambitions while Mrs. Potato Head busts gender roles
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- As Ukraine falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again