- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Franklin would disapprove of Toomey deal
The sellout by “conservative” Sen. Patrick J. Toomey, Pennsylvania Republican, on gun control opens up a valid question (“Sens. Joe Manchin, Pat Toomey roll out background-check compromise on guns,” Web, Wednesday). If we can make arbitrary calls about who can own a gun for home defense, we should also use the same yardstick to determine who can own or have access to the average 4,000-pound American vehicle.
Should any person who could not legally own a gun be able to drive a car or fly an airliner or be a judge or doctor? My risk of injury or death from medicated commercial pilots, drivers and even doctors is much greater than it is from someone with a gun in their home. That’s especially so when the majority, if not all, of the mass killers have used a vehicle to get to their killing fields.
As Ben Franklin once said: “He who would trade liberty for some temporary security deserves neither liberty nor security.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start