- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Franklin would disapprove of Toomey deal
Question of the Day
The sellout by “conservative” Sen. Patrick J. Toomey, Pennsylvania Republican, on gun control opens up a valid question (“Sens. Joe Manchin, Pat Toomey roll out background-check compromise on guns,” Web, Wednesday). If we can make arbitrary calls about who can own a gun for home defense, we should also use the same yardstick to determine who can own or have access to the average 4,000-pound American vehicle.
Should any person who could not legally own a gun be able to drive a car or fly an airliner or be a judge or doctor? My risk of injury or death from medicated commercial pilots, drivers and even doctors is much greater than it is from someone with a gun in their home. That’s especially so when the majority, if not all, of the mass killers have used a vehicle to get to their killing fields.
As Ben Franklin once said: “He who would trade liberty for some temporary security deserves neither liberty nor security.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case