- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Central American leaders: I need help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Franklin would disapprove of Toomey deal
Question of the Day
The sellout by "conservative" Sen. Patrick J. Toomey, Pennsylvania Republican, on gun control opens up a valid question ("Sens. Joe Manchin, Pat Toomey roll out background-check compromise on guns," Web, Wednesday). If we can make arbitrary calls about who can own a gun for home defense, we should also use the same yardstick to determine who can own or have access to the average 4,000-pound American vehicle.
Should any person who could not legally own a gun be able to drive a car or fly an airliner or be a judge or doctor? My risk of injury or death from medicated commercial pilots, drivers and even doctors is much greater than it is from someone with a gun in their home. That's especially so when the majority, if not all, of the mass killers have used a vehicle to get to their killing fields.
As Ben Franklin once said: "He who would trade liberty for some temporary security deserves neither liberty nor security."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore