- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Obama on Boston explosions: Those responsible will ‘feel full weight of justice’
President Obama denounced the explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon and vowed to find out who is responsible and bring them to justice.
“We still do not know who did this and why,” he said in a prime-time statement from the White House Brady Press Briefing Room on Monday evening. “But make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this. We will find out who did this; we’ll find out why they did this.”
Any individuals or groups responsible for the “senseless” bombing, will “feel the full weight of justice,” he added.
Mr. Obama did not say whether the two explosions that abruptly ended the marathon and killed at least two people are terrorism-related, but Washington, D.C., and New York City were on high alert in the wake of the dual deadly bombs.
Security outside the White House was stepped up.
Secret Service personnel pushed members of the public across the street from the White House into Lafayette Park, and shut down Pennsylvania Avenue during the peak of spring tourism season.
Earlier Monday a White House official said FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano briefed Mr. Obama on the investigation and response to the explosions, including ongoing coordination between federal agencies and state and local officials.
Mr. Obama directed his administration to provide “the full resources” of the federal government to aid in the investigation and response.
“The American people will say a prayer for Boston tonight,” he said.
Earlier Monday, Vice President Joseph R. Biden also offered prayers, acknowledging the explosions during a conference call with reporters on gun control. “Our prayers are with those people in Boston who have suffered injuries. I don’t know how many there are,” he said.
Nearly 500,000 tourists were in Boston for the annual marathon.
The Senate observed a moment of silence for the victims just before an evening vote, and Speaker John A. Boehner was scheduled to lead a moment of silence during a scheduled House vote later Monday.
“Words cannot begin to express our sorrow for the families who are grieving so suddenly right now,” Mr. Boehner, Ohio Republican, said in a statement that also thanked law enforcement, other professionals and “good Samaritans” who prevented further loss of life.
“This is a terrible day for all Americans, but we will carry on in the American spirit, and come together with grace and strength,” he said.
⦁ Stephen Dinan and Dave Boyer contributed to this report.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Susan Crabtree is an award-winning investigative reporter with more than 15 years of reporting experience in Washington, D.C. Her reporting about bribery, corruption and conflict-of-interest issues on Capitol Hill has led to several FBI and ethics investigations, as well as consequences for members within their caucuses and at the ballot box. Susan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GOP senators want IG probe of Sebelius' 'Obamacare' fundraising
- Teaming up with Christie, Obama says Jersey shore 'back in business'
- No Moore: Obama flubs name of Oklahoma city devastated by tornado, calls it 'Monroe'
- Obama to Okla. tornado victims: 'We have got your back'
- Amid his own challenges, Obama calls on Navy grads to hold themselves accountable
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.