- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sensitivity training, of sorts
I wish to thank the popular media for enhancing my sensitivity. Years ago, my wife pointed out that I was something of an anachronism because I used a linen handkerchief instead of scented, puffy tissues. I decided then to choose the proper path to self-improvement. And after years of tenaciously watching television titans such as Oprah, Dr. Phil, and the geniuses on “Jersey Shore,” I’ve become enlightened and reformed.
In the spirit of this epiphany, I no longer allow my children to play “cowboys and Indians.” They now engage in cultural-awareness engagement groups, where they are referred to by the correct “Native Americans” and the nonsexist “livestock persons.” Even the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has dropped homosexuality as a paraphilia and now refers to it by the popular “alternative lifestyle.” Finally, I no longer refer to illegal immigrants as such; they are now “undocumented residents.” Some cynics refer to them as “undocumented workers,” but since they don’t show up on the tax rolls or collect on social services, I think the term is crass and insensitive to their needs.
One of my unenlightened friends (a National Rifle Association member, of course) even suggested that many of those “undocumented” newly arrived patriots might wish to remain “undocumented” because they are on the lam from places like Honduras, which has been called the murder capital of the world. I dismiss this assertion out of hand, like those who wish to rename “gun control” as “violence control” or even “television control.”
Thank you, basic cable, you’re my Buddha.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults