- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sensitivity training, of sorts
Question of the Day
I wish to thank the popular media for enhancing my sensitivity. Years ago, my wife pointed out that I was something of an anachronism because I used a linen handkerchief instead of scented, puffy tissues. I decided then to choose the proper path to self-improvement. And after years of tenaciously watching television titans such as Oprah, Dr. Phil, and the geniuses on "Jersey Shore," I've become enlightened and reformed.
In the spirit of this epiphany, I no longer allow my children to play "cowboys and Indians." They now engage in cultural-awareness engagement groups, where they are referred to by the correct "Native Americans" and the nonsexist "livestock persons." Even the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has dropped homosexuality as a paraphilia and now refers to it by the popular "alternative lifestyle." Finally, I no longer refer to illegal immigrants as such; they are now "undocumented residents." Some cynics refer to them as "undocumented workers," but since they don't show up on the tax rolls or collect on social services, I think the term is crass and insensitive to their needs.
One of my unenlightened friends (a National Rifle Association member, of course) even suggested that many of those "undocumented" newly arrived patriots might wish to remain "undocumented" because they are on the lam from places like Honduras, which has been called the murder capital of the world. I dismiss this assertion out of hand, like those who wish to rename "gun control" as "violence control" or even "television control."
Thank you, basic cable, you're my Buddha.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each