- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Hagel: Pentagon to decide on civilian furloughs by next month
The Pentagon will decide in the next two or three weeks whether it will require its nearly 800,000 civilian workers to take unpaid leave this year, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told Congress on Tuesday.
The furloughs — estimated to be up to 14 days — would help the Defense Department meet budget cuts required by the automatic spending reduction process that began March 1.
Testifying before the House Appropriations subcommittee on defense, Mr. Hagel said that exceptions will be made for “priority jobs — safety, security, expertise and so on” if the furloughs occur.
“That said, what we have tried to do in approaching this is be fair and try to come at this in a way that’s across the board, with the exceptions that noted and others,” he said. “ If we have to do this … then that’s the approach that we will continue to take.”
Even without the automatic spending cuts, defense officials said the number of civilians and senior military officers would shrink in the next few years.
Defense Under Secretary Robert F. Hale, the Pentagon’s comptroller, said the civilian workforce is expected to decrease by as much as 6 percent through fiscal 2018, in proportion to shrinking active-duty ranks.
However, those anticipated reductions depend on whether Congress authorizes a new round of underused facilities, a process known as Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC), he told the panel.
“We will need a BRAC round to achieve those cuts,” Mr. Hale said.
Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the subcommittee that the Pentagon is reconsidering a reduction in the number of its generals and flag officers as the active duty ranks decrease by 100,000 in the next few years.
Former Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates’ efficiency reviewin 2011 determined that about 144 generals and flag officer positions would be lost by attrition over the next five years, Gen. Dempsey said.
“We are looking again, because as the force comes down, the ratio changes,” he said. “We’re also looking not just at individual positions and numbers of generals and flags but at headquarters. We are a bit ‘overstructured.’
“We didn’t get there out of any malfeasance. We got there because they were requirements, and as this budget now comes upon us, and [Mr. Hagel’s] strategic management review, we’ll take a look at where we think we can do less with less but not less well,” the four-star general said.
Meanwhile, the defense officials said the Pentagon recently saved funding for two National Guard crisis units — one of which responded to Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon — that had been scheduled to be dismantled.
“They are important, and we have put the funding in both those,” Mr. Hagel testified. “And I think the Congress was informed of that the last few days, and we put the money back in.”
As recently as March 29, the 24th Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team at Fort Hamilton, N.Y., and the 48th Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team at Clearwater, Fla., had been slated to be shuttered by June 27.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.