- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Only two improvised explosive devices or IEDs, both of which exploded, were discovered yesterday at the scene of the Boston Marathon, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said Tuesday.

“There were no unexploded bombs,” he told a press breifing.


SEE ALSO: Nightmare realized: Counterterrorism officials long feared IEDs would make way to U.S. shores


He spoke in the wake of reports that one or more unexploded bombs had been recovered or blown up at the scene of the two blasts yesterday, which have killed three people, including an 8-year-old so far.

The 8-year-old was named Monday as Martin Richard, of the Boston neighborhood of Dorchester. His mother, Denise, and sister suffered serious injuries, according to the Boston Globe.

Mr. Patrick and other officials briefed the news media Tuesday morning on the investigation into the bombings.

“The assistance of the public will be critical in building a timeline of events” that could help authorities solve the case, said lead FBI investigator, Richard DesLauriers.


SEE ALSO: Stunned Americans grieve as portraits of Boston Marathon bombing victims emerge


State and local officials warned Bostonians that an investigation into the bombing of its prized marathon on Monday will continue to affect every day life.

“Everyone should expect a continued, heightened police presence,” Mr. Patrick added during the news conference Tuesday morning.

Yet Mayor Thomas Menino and others tried to set a positive tone for the city as it moves forward, praising first responders, neighbors and runners who offered a helping hand in the wake of the blasts.

“This is a bad day for Boston, but I think if we pull together we’ll get through it,” said Mr. Menino, seated in a wheelchair as he recovers from the leg surgery over the weekend.

“Boston will survive,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts Democrat, added from the podium.

Mr. Menino reflected on the death of 8-year-old Richard Martin, who was among three people who died in the twin blasts from shrapnel-loaded bombs shortly before 3 p.m. The explosions injured roughly 150 people, many of whom suffered leg trauma on the sidewalks near the finish line

Mr. DesLauriers said authorities have received “voluminous tips” in the 18 hours since the incident.

“Our mission is clear,” he told reporters. “To bring to justice those responsible for the marathon bombing.”