- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
MILLER: Senate background checks bill misfires, hits law-abiding gun owners
Manchin-Toomey bill appeases Obama but doesn’t reduce crime
Question of the Day
The burden is then on the gun owner to pay for a legal defense — in another state — to show that federal allow trumps the state law. Unfortunately, politicians bank on the reality that many people can’t afford to do this and take a plea deal for financial reasons.
Also, the bill has the common-sense provision that concealed carry permit holders don’t have to get background check to buy a gun, but the transfer would still have to go through a licensed dealer who will record the information. Unfortunately, the bill does not include the House-passed national concealed carry reciprocity legislation that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has blocked for two years.
Even with the positive sections, Americans should not be forced to give up up some constitutional rights in order to regain others. Any senator who respects the Second Amendment ought not to vote for the background check expansions.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Donald Sterling trial: Testimony ends as Shelly Sterling doesn't return to stand
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down