- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Scientology not a religion
Scientology evolved from the science fiction writings of L. Ron Hubbard (“’Rock Center with Brian Williams‘ explores Scientology’s ‘Narconon,’” Web, April 5). It is not a religion, but was patented as such by Hubbard in order to corner the market on his self-help, feel-good books.
Scientology is, in fact, anti-religion in both its beliefs and its practices. It promotes a form of Gnosticism, that salvation comes not through the saving actions of Jesus Christ but through the possession of special knowledge alone.
Scientology maintains a front of religious tolerance but disavows Christ and teaches its members that Christ is one of many engrams (negative thoughts) that must be dealt with in order to “clear our consciousness.” It is a somewhat secretive society like Freemasonry that has been shown to exercise power over and extort money from many of its members.
As for Tom Cruise’s belief in Scientology, P.T. Barnum, the American showman, once quipped: “There’s a sucker born every minute.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults