- House and Senate negotiators reach two-year budget deal
- Congress seeks ban on in-flight calls
- Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
HARRIS: Alex Ovechkin’s MVP case bolstered with each Capitals win
Oates has found a nice balance between the often-freewheeling offensive style of Bruce Boudreau and the pack-it-in defensive style of Dale Hunter. And, clearly, he’s reached Ovechkin in a way Boudreau couldn’t do late in his tenure and Hunter never did in his brief tenure.
“Their goals for dropped almost a goal a game as they were trying to pursue being a better defensive team,” Button said. “Now their goals for is up and they haven’t lost anything on defense. To me, that’s coaching.”
Of course, if the Caps collapse and don’t get into the playoffs, you can say so long to both awards. Button doesn’t see that happening.
“I think it is the other teams that need to worry about the Caps, not the Caps worrying about the other team,” he said. “They are looking good.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Washington Times sports editor Mike Harris has more than 30 years experience in the business as a reporter, columnist and manager. He’s covered a wide variety of events including two Olympics, horse racing, auto racing, professional and college sports. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow the section on Twitter @WashTimesSports.
- HARRIS: Redskins left in limbo over $7 million question
- HARRIS: Visions of Robinson Cano under Nationals' tree
- Doing the roster math is a task Caps coach Adam Oates takes seriously
- HARRIS: There's always something you can put on your thankful list
- Martin Erat asks for trade as unproductive Caps stint appears soon to end
Latest Blog Entries
- Meet Connor Carrick, the youngster who played his way onto the Caps' final roster
- Go Aggies: Nationals notes and lineups for Sept. 14
- RG3: There is no conflict with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan
- Sunday Nats-Dodgers lineups and some thoughts from reliever Craig Stammen
- Nats vs. Dodgers: Chad Tracy and his .149 average back at first base
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Harry Reid's visa pressure cooker
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A column dedicated to discussing politics, national security, civil liberties, and education.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow