- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
Former Marine re-enlists, eschews NFL tryout after Boston Marathon bombings
Question of the Day
Mr. O'Brien was a record-setting standout at Montana State Northern University after serving four years in the military, but as 30-year-old wide receiver from a small school, he was a long shot to make the NFL.
However, the 6-foot-1-inch, 220-pound Mr. O'Brien ran a 4.56-second 40-yard dash and 4.08 in the short shuttle during recent workouts — times that might convince a team to give him a chance.
But after Monday, when two bombs detonated near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing at least three and injuring scores of others, Mr. O'Brien decided it was time to again serve his country.
“He said watching what happened yesterday left him with a big hole in his heart and told me he wants to ensure that this never happens again to anybody, anywhere,” Brad Berkowitz, Mr. O’Brien’s agent, toldNFL.com. “The kid is a real hero.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
- Chinese hackers stole 'huge quantities' of sensitive data on Israel's Iron Dome
- C-130 lands at Ramstein Air Force Base with dead boy in wheel well
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world