- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
SIMMONS: A doctor with a perverted view of life and death
Since March 18, jurors in Philadelphia have been listening to gruesome testimony about what happened inside an abortion clinic.
The detailed testimony is gut-wrenching, whether you are taking them in while digesting a morning bowl of grits cooked in chicken broth or savoring every bite of a comfort dish prepared the way grandma did.
The people who worked there said the conditions of the clinic, the Women's Medical Society, were filthy and abortions were sloppily carried out, and medical and health offices said the clinic contained the frozen remains of dozens and dozens of fetuses.
One health official who testified said there was “filthy” and “corroded” tubing in medical machines inside the clinic, broken equipment blocking doorways and patients who said they had received no counseling.
Moreover, patients were not connected to devices that measure vital signs.
First laid out for the jury by prosecutors and defense attorneys, some of the most startling facts and revelations include:
• A grand jury recommended that Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, be charged with 310 counts of violating abortion laws. He subsequently was charged with murder, infanticide and related abortion and health-care charges. Nine staffers are also on trial.
• Hundreds of babies were allegedly killed during late-term abortions by Dr. Gosnell.
• Defense Attorneys Jack McMahon and James Berardinelli, had Dr. Gosnell plead not guilty and called the trial a “prosecutorial lynching,” and cited an elitist and racist prosecution of a doctor who gives to the poor and helps the people of West Philadelphia.” (More on that later.)
Now, some of you — some of us — are old enough to recall tales from the pre-Roe v. Wade days, when women in general and poor gals in particular seeking abortions sought “back-alley” abortionists.
But consider this case, a case of a woman who simple intention was to undergo a safe and legal abortion.
In Novemeber 2009, a 41-year-old Nepalese woman who lived in Northern Virginia and was about 16 weeks pregnant, ended up at Dr. Gosnell’s clinic after being told by three abortion clinics — two in Virginia — one near her home in Woodbridge and one in Fredericksburg, and a third clinic in the District — that their own cutoff was 16 weeks.
Once at the West Philadelphia clinic, the woman died of cardiac arrest after Dr. Gosnell’s untrained staff gave her too much Demerol to anesthecize her.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: Obama's birthday gift to Barry
- SIMMONS: Obama's 'Brother's Keeper' a big-government initiative that lacks faith
- SIMMONS: Andy Shallal a CEO suited for the District
- SIMMONS: It's high time someone made sense on D.C. pot plan
- SIMMONS: D.C. weighs job-killing per-employee 'service fee'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again