- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
SIMMONS: A doctor with a perverted view of life and death
Since March 18, jurors in Philadelphia have been listening to gruesome testimony about what happened inside an abortion clinic.
The detailed testimony is gut-wrenching, whether you are taking them in while digesting a morning bowl of grits cooked in chicken broth or savoring every bite of a comfort dish prepared the way grandma did.
The people who worked there said the conditions of the clinic, the Women’s Medical Society, were filthy and abortions were sloppily carried out, and medical and health offices said the clinic contained the frozen remains of dozens and dozens of fetuses.
One health official who testified said there was “filthy” and “corroded” tubing in medical machines inside the clinic, broken equipment blocking doorways and patients who said they had received no counseling.
Moreover, patients were not connected to devices that measure vital signs.
First laid out for the jury by prosecutors and defense attorneys, some of the most startling facts and revelations include:
• The Pennsylvania Department of Health last inspected the clinic April 8, 1993, until February 2010, when law enforcement conducted a raid following the November 2009 death of a patient.
• A grand jury recommended that Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, be charged with 310 counts of violating abortion laws. He subsequently was charged with murder, infanticide and related abortion and health-care charges. Nine staffers are also on trial.
• Hundreds of babies were allegedly killed during late-term abortions by Dr. Gosnell.
• Defense Attorneys Jack McMahon and James Berardinelli, had Dr. Gosnell plead not guilty and called the trial a “prosecutorial lynching,” and cited an elitist and racist prosecution of a doctor who gives to the poor and helps the people of West Philadelphia.” (More on that later.)
Now, some of you — some of us — are old enough to recall tales from the pre-Roe v. Wade days, when women in general and poor gals in particular seeking abortions sought “back-alley” abortionists.
But consider this case, a case of a woman who simple intention was to undergo a safe and legal abortion.
In Novemeber 2009, a 41-year-old Nepalese woman who lived in Northern Virginia and was about 16 weeks pregnant, ended up at Dr. Gosnell’s clinic after being told by three abortion clinics — two in Virginia — one near her home in Woodbridge and one in Fredericksburg, and a third clinic in the District — that their own cutoff was 16 weeks.
Once at the West Philadelphia clinic, the woman died of cardiac arrest after Dr. Gosnell’s untrained staff gave her too much Demerol to anesthecize her.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: Food police are leaving your school kids unfed
- SIMMONS: Disinterest among voters hard for Republicans, independents to weather
- SIMMONS: Put adults in hot seat for system's failure, for Relisha's sake
- SIMMONS: City can't bear leaders' silence in missing girl case
- SIMMONS: Rev. Wilson backs Shallal in D.C. Dems' mayoral primary
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.